Sunday, August 31, 2014

two more attempts, Larger

Still working out the quirks getting this bag just right... (see last post) This time I took a table cloth I bought in Africa, and used that....
I forgot to add a pocket, so I will go back and add one on both sides... since it's reversible...  I made it twice the size of my old shopping bag this time around....

 I totally LOVE how it turned out....  ( still will add pockets)

This one has a pocket on!  I wanted to use up this super, cute, giant print I've had for ages in my stash.... I think Jenny Egg likes it too...

The bag is addictive, and so crazy easy to make.  So many fun ways to adapt it; I have an orphan block picked out for one more.  really how many do I need?

Once I get it just right, The pattern will go up here...
Just need a bit more time...  It's kind of like a A line dress with a curved yoke. ;-)




My old shopping bag is one of these goodies from like the container store or somewhere... I've had it for years....  It's nice, but it is a bit to small for lugging groceries in NYC, so I used it as a base pattern to make it larger.   
The part where you put your groceries in, I thought was to small, so I widen that area. Next I squared it out in an a-line shape,  and boxed out the corners for width to the bottom of the bag....
The TOP Yellow African bag, I also made longer straps. I also cut out the armpit area larger, so you can easily sling it over your shoulder... the red one was a bit to snug...

Getting there...It's been fun to play with!!!






6 comments:

  1. The bigger version is lookin' good, too, Victoria! Looks very easy to make. Looking forward to the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bag is looking awesome! I look forward to seeing your final plan. The bags I've made had "issues" and the changes you've made make sense! I sometimes buy old draperies or upholstery remnants at places like Calico Corners for bags. I love re-purposing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this bag! I especially love that you made it with the tablecloth!!!! Really looking forward to the pattern :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bag is great but what I love is your description of the process ( not to mention your loss of the orange bag to your daughter ). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. can't wait to make the bag. have a daughter who moved to DC, think she will love it on her trips to the farmer's market. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the bags! I am planning to do a bag-a-thon soon, so I'm eager to see your pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment!
I appreciate your taking the time to say hi!
Have a fabulous day!